Dear Friends and Supporters of RAIVAAJA:
The digital preservation project is well underway:
- All newspapers from the years 1977 to the last issue in 2009 have been sorted and delivered to New England Micrographics for microfilming. The original microfilm rolls will be sent to the Library of Congress along with copies from the Finnish National Library covering the years 1970-1977. The microfilming is in cooperation with Ross Associates (NYC). Raivaaja Foundation will receive a copy of the 2009-1977 reels and has purchased, at reduced cost, copies of the 1970-1977 reels. Attached to this update are December ’72 and May ’76 pdf images which Marita and I made from the reels using the computerized reader at the Fitchburg Public Library. Dec051972NYEd (Interestingly, many libraries have scrapped their microfilm readers.) Election1976
- We will digitize as much of the microfilm as funds allow. That film not digitized can be converted at a later date since the reels are expected to have a lifetime of hundreds of years. I’ll have more details in February.
- The newspapers at NE Micrographics cover more than the time of Marita’s tenure at Raivaaja.:Invisible’ Finnish Community Still Has One Proud Voice Left http://articles.latimes.com/2003/dec/15/nation/na-finns15
- A small project, the digitization of RAIVAAJA KYMMENEN VUOTTA, was completed in December and we are offering extra copies of the microfilm at cost, Some .tif images are at www.raivaaja.org and can be used to practice your Finnish. The .tif photos can be enlarged for better detail. If you find that a CD is more convenient, send a small donation to Raivaaja to cover the blank disk and postage, and I’ll burn one for you.
- Dennis Hill and the Board applied for a grant from FFN to further the digital preservation process. We believe that we have a good narrative and need and are hopeful. We will also write other applications.
- We are gratified that 72 donors have given $3595 to Raivaaja. Supporters are now on a donations page at our website: http://www.raivaaja.org/Blog/?page_id=334 Paljon kiitoksia